July 21st, 2011 by Eric J. Ramos
IN THIS ISSUE:
Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas
U.S. Citizenship and the Oath of Allegiance This July 4th
The Bill of Rights, the First 10 Amendments of the U.S. Constitution
The Faces of US Immigrants: The Founding Fathers
Recipes From The Melting Pot: The Hamburger, An American July 4th Staple
• 2 pounds ground beef
• Your favorite sliced cheese
• Sliced tomato
• Sliced red onion
• Lettuce leaves
• Olive oil, salt and pepper
1. Preheat grill for high heat.
2. Shape 12 burger patties. Brush olive oil on both sides of the patties and salt and pepper each.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done. If you want cheese on your hamburger, add it during the last minute of the grilling process.
DO NOT press with spatula since this will “squeeze” out flavorful juices and the burger would be dry.
4. Add onions, tomatoes and lettuce, if desired. You can also add ketchup, if you desire.
NOTE: CONSUMING RAW OR UNDERCOOKED MEATS, SEAFOOD, POULTRY OR EGG PRODUCTS MAY INCREASE YOUR RISK OF CONTRACTING A FOOD BORNE ILLNESS.
Enjoy (and sorry to all vegetarians this month)!