June 21st, 2012 by Eric J. Ramos
IN THIS ISSUE
The U.S. Naturalization Civics Test
The Latino Vote, the “Sleeping Giant:” Key to the 2012 Presidential Election?
Obama administration will not deport Undocumented, law-abiding young people and will be Granting Work Permits: It’s About Time Mr. President
High-Skilled Worker Visas: No More to be Had This Year, To the Dismay of Many Businesses
A Quick Reminder: The 2012 Summer Olympics Will Take Place in London
The Faces of US Immigrants: Ariana Huffington, Columnist and Author
Quote of the Month
Recipes From The Melting Pot: Japanese Style Deep Fried Shrimp
• 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup panko crumbs
• 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1. Place the shrimp in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. In a small bowl, stir together the flour and paprika. Place eggs and panko crumbs into separate bowls.
2. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Dip each shrimp into the flour mixture, then into the egg, and finally into the panko crumbs to coat. Fry a few at a time until golden brown. This should take no longer than 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
Recipe courtesy of ait0shi, as submitted to allrecipes.com