Immigration Direct U.S. Immigration & Citizenship Form Services-Simplifying Immigration

Re-applying After Being Deported

March 14th, 2012 by Eleanor Gaskin

If you have been deported and want to reapply for admission, you may have to file form I-212. An alien who is not admissible under sec.212 (a) (9) or (c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act has to file this form to obtain consent to reapply for admission before he can legally return to the U.S. The aliens are also inadmissible for a period stipulated by the INA, depending on how many times they have been removed. If the individual who attempts to return to the U.S without admission, they will be inadmissible according to the INA, if they had been illegally in the U.S for over a year.

The filing of this form also depends on the reason of your inadmissibility. Those who are applying for form I-212 should check the form instructions and find out the filing location. That is, it should be filed with the U.S Customs and Border Protection, the U.S. Department of State, Executive Office for Immigration Review or the USCIS.

  1. If you want admission as a non-immigrant at a U.S. Port of entry and you are not required to get a non-immigrant visa, you should file form I-212 with CBP. Filing this form is generally done in person.
  2. Citizens of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Marshall Islands may contact the nearest U.S. Consulate to find out where to submit this form.
  3. If you are getting admission as an immigrant and seeking adjustment of status, you should file form I-212 according to the instructions given in the immigration court.
  4. If you are abroad and are applying for an immigrant visa, submit this form to the local office where your deportation proceeding was held.
  5. If you are in the U.S and will be filing for a waiver under sec.212(g) or (h) you may file with the American.
  6. If you are in the US and want to apply for adjustment of status under sec.245 of the INA or want to reapply before your departure from the U.S you may have to submit at the local office having jurisdiction over the place you live.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the United States government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for an attorney or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2014 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.