Immigration Direct U.S. Immigration & Citizenship Form Services-Simplifying Immigration

What is the USCIS Green Card Renewal Process – Find Out Right Here!

April 19th, 2011 by Eleanor Gaskin

If you are a U.S resident and your 10 year green card has expired, or is about to expire, you must certainly get it renewed as soon as possible. However, if you are not very clear on how to go about with the process, worry no more because this lucid guide would acquaint you with each and every aspect pertaining to USCIS green card renewal process. All you have to do then is simply continue to read the following to have a better idea about the USCIS green card renewal process.

When Does the Need for Green Card Renewal Arise?

Green cards expire every 10 years. The process of green card renewal should begin within 6 months before its expiration date and this only applies to U.S. permanent residents who hold a green card.

Application Process for USCIS Green Card Renewal

Renewing your green card requires that you fill out Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Again, this form should be filled out within 6 months before the expiration date.

Finding Out the Status of Application

Once the I-90 form for USCIS green card renewal has been filed, its status can be regularly checked at My Case Status section of the USCIS website after 72 hours of filing the application. In order to check your status, you will need your alien registration number, application receipt number, date of birth etc.

Useful Advice on USCIS Green Card Renewal for Those Outside the U.S.

There may be cases when the U.S. permanent resident is residing outside the U.S and their green card is about to expire or has expired. In that case, they may not be able to file their USCIS green card renewal application from abroad. They will have to contact the USCIS office, the nearest U.S Embassy or consulate for information regarding the procedure to be followed for their green card renewal.

In Case of Denial of Renewal Application

There is also a possibility that some applications for USCIS green card renewal may face rejection. The applicants may be issued a letter informing them of the reason. The option exists to appeal your rejected application. This may require reopening for reconsideration of the application with the USCIS office.

The application for reconsideration must be accompanied with the appropriate documentation, providing evidence that may aid your case. Also, a petitioner may have to convince the authorities that the previous denial of his/her application was based on incorrect information and that denial of the application was unjustified and that your case deserves reconsideration.

Whom to Contact In Need of Help

Your nearest USCIS District Office is the best place to seek help in case of any problems regarding USCIS green card renewal. Alternatively, there exist several organizations that offer legal advice on the issue and can also be contacted for help.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the United States government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for an attorney or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2014 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.