Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Apply for a U.S. E-1/E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Application

  • Start Application immediately
  • Avoid mistakes: Easy step-by-step instructions
  • New and updated Immigration Forms included
  • 24/7 Customer Support
  • Secure Download (All information protected)  Secure

Who can file?

Nationals of countries with which the United States has a treaty relationship who are coming to the U.S. to engage in trade or to direct or develop the operations of a business in which they have made substantial investments can apply for an E-1 or E-2 visa.

E-1 Visa

  • Personnel including executives, managers and specialists of treaty country companies operating in the U.S.
  • Nationals of treaty countries seeking to enter the U.S. to carry out substantial trade. The international trade between your home country and the U.S. must be 'substantial' in the sense that there is a sizable and continuing volume of trade. More than 50 per cent of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and your home country.
  • Immediate family members of E-1 visa holders.
  • Companies in treaty countries to send key personnel to manage the U.S. affiliate or branch.
  • Companies in treaty countries to send personnel to set up a U.S. company.

E-2 Visa

  • Entrepreneurs from treaty countries investing substantially in a U.S. enterprise.
  • Nationals of treaty countries entering the U.S. to develop and direct investments from the treaty country.
  • Nationals of treaty countries entering the U.S. to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested, or they are actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.
  • Immediate family members of E-2 visa holders.
  • Companies in treaty countries to send key personnel to manage the U.S. affiliate or branch.
  • Companies in treaty countries to send personnel to set up a U.S. company.

About the Treaty Investor (E-1 and E-2) Visa e-Kit

This kit contains the tools you need to assess your eligibility, understand the filing procedure, complete the necessary application forms, attach and gather the required supporting documents, and file your application.

We've compiled everything you need in one easy-to-use kit. Thousands of successful applicants have used our kits over the last 10 years.

Kit highlights

  • Step-by-step instructions on filing your application.
  • Every application form you need to successfully file.
  • General information, eligibility requirements, and rules for all E visa categories.
  • Definitions of key terms.
  • A list of treaty countries.
  • Sample applications.
  • And much more!

Forms included

  • Form DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • Form DS-156E Nonimmigrant Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor Visa Application
  • Form I-526 Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur (for EB-5)
  • Form I-829 Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions
  • Form I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant worker

About the Treaty Investor (E-1 and E-2) Visa

The Treaty Investor Visa (E-1 and E-2) is a nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

The Treaty Traders (E-1) Visa allows nationals from countries that maintain an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S. to enter the U.S. to conduct trade between the U.S. and their home country.

The Treaty Investors (E-2) Visa allows nationals from countries that have treaties of commerce and navigation, or bilateral agreements, in effect with the U.S. to enter the U.S. for the purpose of directing and developing the operations of a business they have invested in, or are in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

Unlimited two-year extensions of stay are typically granted for E visas as long as valid status is maintained.

Where to file

The USCIS California Service Center handles all initial and extension applications for E-1 and E-2 Visas. Initial and extension applications for other temporary employment-based visas are processed at both the Vermont Service Center and the California Service Center. Details on where to file are included with this e-Kit.

After the initial application is approved, the investor applies for a visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest his or her residence.

Overview of the application process

  1. Applicants outside of the United States submit their initial application, supporting documents, and fees at the United States embassy or consulate nearest their residence.
  2. Applicants inside the United States apply to the appropriate USCIS service center for a change of status.
  3. USCIS sends a Form I-797, Notice of Approval to the investor and sends a copy of the notice to the U.S. consulate or embassy in the country where the investor resides.
  4. The investor files an E-1 or E-2 visa application and supporting documents (including the original or a copy of the approval notice) with the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest his or her residence.
  5. At the U.S. port of entry, an immigration official must authorize the investor's entry into the U.S. At the time of entry, the investor fills out a Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which indicates the duration of stay permitted.

Why should you use Immigration Direct?

Save money. Save up to 90% in legal costs and fees!* over using a lawyer by preparing and filing your application yourself.

Avoid confusion and delay. Avoid costly mistakes and delays by using our step-by-step kit, with up-to-date forms and examples of completed applications, to complete your application correctly and easily.

Get support. If you do have a question, we're here to support you. We offer e-mail support 24/7. That means you can contact us by e-mail any time of the day and get a response in 24 hours or less, seven days a week! We also offer in-person phone support from 6 am - 12 am PST.

Be smart. Immigration Direct has helped thousands of applicants successfully process USCIS applications over the last 10 years. Take advantage of our experience and let us help you process yours. Download this fast, easy, and economical kit and get started today!

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual's situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2015 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.