Travel Document Form I 131 Updated by USCIS

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is an immigration form used to apply to the USCIS for one of the following:

1. Re-entry Permit – this allows a green card holder or a conditional green card holder to enter the U.S. from abroad without having to produce a returning resident visa. The validity of this permit is stamped on the permit and may not be used for seeking admission into the U.S. on its expiry.
2. Refugee Travel Document – is issued to a refugee or an asylee and allows them to re-enter the U.S. after a temporary stay abroad.
3. Advance Parole Document – is used to authorize a person to be temporarily be paroled into the U.S. This document may be considered by transport organizations in lieu of a visa, but not in lieu of a passport.

Form I-131 Updated

USCIS has recently updated the form I-131, Application for Travel Document. The current edition is dated 11/05/11. However, USCIS mentions on its website that editions dated 11/23/10; 02/12/10; 07/14/09; 03/24/09; 10/30/08; 05/27/08; 02/26/08 are also accepted.

Please ensure you are using the right form when you are filing for any immigration benefit.