J-1 Visa

Exchange Visitor

Being able to study, conduct research, or teach in the United States is the dream of many scholars.

In a global economy, an educated and skilled workforce is crucial. Since certain specialized training might not be available in their home countries, the opportunity afforded to students around the world to participate in American education is important.

The Exchange Visitor Visa

Visitors interested in studying in the U.S. must apply for the J-1 Visa. The visa promotes the exchange of people, ideas, and skills in education, arts and science. It is a nonimmigrant visa so it is only temporary.

Applicants have to fill out Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. The U.S. Department of State designates public and private agencies that sponsor people for the Exchange Visitor program.

Working in the U.S. with a J-1 Visa

Some people who are awarded a J-1 Visa will be allowed to work in U.S. A foreign researcher, for example, will need to work for an institution so she will definitely need a work authorization. This work authorization is obtained through the sponsoring agency.

Family of J-1 Visa Holders

The spouse and the children of an applicant can obtain a J-2 classification. They can obtain a work authorization but they cannot use their income to support the main applicant. The children cannot be over the age of 21.

Where to apply?

The process is very different from other U.S. visa application, and it’s best to get help. The U.S. J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Application can be filled out with us to avoid mistakes.