The H-1B Visa

The temporary work visa for foreign nationals who work in a specialty occupation need to apply for a H-1B Visa if they are looking to work for a U.S. employer. The H-1B Visa is a nonimmigrant visa.

But what exactly is meant by “specialty occupation?” A specialty occupation is defined by the U.S. government as a job that has a theoretical and practical application of highly specialized knowledge. This means that the applicant must have a higher education. The employment in the U.S. must require a higher education as well.

There are three subcategories people can also be a part of in order to apply for an H-1B visa:

  • H-1B1 – Applicants may be Free Trade Agreement workers in a specialty occupation from Chile and Singapore.
  • H-1B2 – Applicants may be in specialty occupations that relate to the Department of Defense Cooperative Research and Development projects or Co-production projects.
  • H-1B3 – Applicants may be fashion models of merit and ability.

The spouses and the children of the applicant can apply for the same type of visa so that they can come to the U.S. with the applicant. In order for the family of the applicant to be approved, the main applicant will have to demonstrate that he will be able to support his accompanying family.

The H-1B Visa applications are subject to careful review and only 65,000 H-1B Visas are made available each year. It is best to submit an application as soon as possible, well in advance of your estimated departure date.

Apply for a H-1B Visa online right now with easy to follow instructions.