Haiti Temporary Protected Status Extended

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitians has been extended for an additional 18 months. To re-register, you must once again file Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status and Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Both forms must be filed even if you do not wish to seek employment in the U.S. Applications for re-registration are now being accepted. You only have a 60-day period to do so.

After the 7.0-in-magnitude earthquake that ravaged Haiti back in January of 2010, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security made TPS available to victims. TPS is granted to foreign nationals from countries with an ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster or other extraordinary conditions. With TPS, beneficiaries cannot be removed from the U.S., are granted a work authorization, and may be granted travel authorization. Current TPS beneficiaries from Haiti have been in the United States since January 2011.

You are not eligible for re-registration if you have not continuously resided in the United States since granted TPS. The following are additional circumstances that would make you ineligible for re-registration:

  • You cannot have been convicted of any felony or two or more misdemeanors.
  • You cannot have engaged in terrorist activity.

If you are seeking to extend your status, you must re-register between now and November 30, 2012. You must do this as soon as possible! The extension begins on Jan. 23, 2013 and ends July 22, 2014.

Sign up with us now to extend your TPS.