Green Card Renewal Guide

A Green Card is an important document when you are a permanent resident, for this card serves as sole evidence of your status. You must have an up-to-date card. Green Card Renewal is necessary when your Green Card is soon to expire.

Green Card Renewal

It is recommended that you begin your Green Card renewal process 6 months before it expires. Green Cards are valid for 10 years, but if yours is only valid for two, you must first remove your conditions before you can renew.  To renew your Green Card, you will file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.This form is also used if your Green Card is lost, stolen or damaged.

Form I-90 can be filed online, but if you are outside the U.S. when your card expires and you did not apply for renewal before departing, you must contact the nearest U.S. consulate, USCIS office or U.S. port of entry before filing.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, USCIS, states that it is your responsibility to carry an up-to-date Green Card at all times. Remember that the way you manage your Green Card status can affect your application for citizenship once you decide to apply. The following are other responsibilities of being a Green Card holder:

  • You must maintain status as permanent resident.
  • You must abide by all federal, state and local laws.
  • You must pay your federal, state, and local income taxes.
  • If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26, you must register for the U.S. Selective Service.
  • You must notify the Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of moving to another address.

Keeping up with your responsibilities is simple when you keep the benefits of having a Green Card in mind. The following are your rights as a U.S. Green Card holder:

  • The right to live and work on a permanent basis in the U.S
  • The right to apply for U.S. citizenship when you become eligible
  • The right to petition to get Green Cards for your spouse and unmarried children so that they can also live and work permanently in the U.S. right by your side
  • The right to obtain Social Security, Supplemental Income, and Medicare if you qualify
  • The right to own property
  • The right to get a driver’s license in your state or territory
  • The right to leave and enter the U.S. as long it is not for a period of time not longer than one year
  • The right to attend public school and college
  • The right to join certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces