Immigration Fact of the Week March 22


Can you get citizenship by joining the military?


Yes, but you must already be a lawful permanent resident.

Lawful permanent residents, also known as Green Card holders, are eligible to join the U.S. military. The military does not admit foreign nationals who are on non-immigrant visas, such as tourist visas or work visas, and it doesn’t admit foreign nationals who have entered the U.S. without any documents.

A Green Card holder can become a U.S. citizen after one year of military service. He or she must have served honorably. The form to file is Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. All of the other requirements for citizenship still apply.

Look for a new Immigration Fact of the Week every Friday!