Immigration Fact of the Week Mar. 7

Question:

How Many Hispanics Living in the U.S. Are Immigrants?

Answer: Only about one-third, around 18.1 million.

As of 2009, approximately 48.4 million people in the U.S. self identify as Hispanic or Latino. Of those, 30.3 million — 63 percent — are native-born U.S. citizens. The remaining 37 percent — 18.1 million — are immigrants.