The new registration period for the 2019 Diversity Visa Lottery Program opened on Wednesday, October 18, 2017, and it will close on Wednesday, November 22, 2017.
Earlier, the U.S. government announced that the registration period will open on October 3, 2017, and close on November 7, 2017. But entries filed between October 3 and October 10, have been excluded from the Department of State’s (DOS) system, due to technical issues. The issue has now been resolved. So the DOS has asked the applicants who filed their applications during those dates to submit their entries again. These new entries will not be considered as duplicates. Only the green card lottery entries submitted between October 18 and November 22 will be considered for selection in the DV-2019 program.
The program is called DV-2019 because the applicants who enter the lottery in 2017 and win the lottery, will receive their green cards in 2019. The DV lottery program allows 50,000 randomly selected applicants to get an immigrant visa and become legal permanent residents of the U.S. It must be remembered that not all winners of the lottery will be eligible for an immigrant visa. Immigrant visas will be issued only to the applicants who are eligible for legal status in the U.S.
Following are few things to remember about the green card lottery program.
- Applications to enter the lottery will be accepted only between October 18, 2017, and November 22, 2017. To avoid the last minute rush, file your application well in advance.
- You can enter the lottery if you are a native of a green card lottery qualifying country and not native of one of the following countries.
“Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.”
- Applicants must meet the education or the work experience requirements.
- During the lottery registration period that runs between October 18 and November 22, you must file just one entry. If you file multiple entries, you will be disqualified.
- Make sure you keep the application confirmation number that you receive after filing your application safe. You may not be able to check the status of your entry if you lose the confirmation number.
- You can enter the lottery for free and there is no DV lottery filing fee. But if you win the lottery and are eligible for an immigrant visa, you will have to pay the required fee to file an application for an immigrant visa.