Newsletter August 2011 – Green Card Renewal

The Heart of America Held Hostage by a Tea Party That Never Ends
Salvador Zamora, On a Hunger Strike to Protest Georgia’s Immigration Law, HB 87
The Date for the 2013 Green Card Lottery is Set
When Federal Law Discriminates, Marriages That Are based On Love, Suffer
The Faces of US Immigrants: David John “Dave” Matthews – Musician and Songwriter
Recipes From The Melting Pot: Arabic Honey Cake, A Middle Eastern Delight
Quote of the Month

Green Card Renewal

Renewing your Green Card is an important process for Lawful Permanent Residents in order to maintain their legal status in the United States. Current Green Cards are valid for a period of 10 years. Remember that a Green Card is simply official documentation of your status as a legal Permanent Resident, much like an identification card. Therefore, it is important to keep your card up to date. An expired Green Card may make it difficult for you to prove that you are a Lawful Permanent Resident, and it can also affect your ability to travel out of the country and/or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

In order to keep your card up to date, Green Card holders need to file Form I-90 in order to renew their Green Card.

When should a Green Card Renewal application (Form I-90) be filed?
• You must file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident your card will expire within the next six months. You cannot file for renewal more than six months in advance.

NOTE: It is extremely important that you immediately file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and your card has expired.

• You should file a Green Card Renewal application if you have an older version of the Green Card. These cards have no expiration dates and though you are not required by the USCIS to renew the older card versions, the USCIS strongly recommends you apply to renew your Green Card.

When should a Green Card Replacement application (Form I-90) be filed?
There are times when a Lawful Permanent Resident needs to request a Green Card Replacement before the current card expires.

Therefore, when should you file for a Green Card replacement using Form I-90? If:
• Your card was has been lost or stolen
• Your card was mutilated or destroyed.
• Your card has a mistake on it. For example, you received a Green Card and the name was misspelled, than you should immediately file for a green card replacement (Form I90) to have the mistake corrected.
• You never received you Green Card. card was never received.
• Your name has changed, such as through marriage, divorce or for any other reason.
• You just turned 14 years old. If you became a permanent resident before you were 14 years old, you are required to replace your old.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.