Replace Certificate of Citizenship

To replace your certificate of citizenship, you must file Form N-565.

Form N-565 is used to not only replace a Certificate of Citizenship but also a Certificate of Naturalization, a Declaration of Intention, and a Repatriation Certificate.

  • The Certificate of Citizenship is for people who were born outside the U.S. but have U.S. citizen parents.
  •  The Certificate of Naturalization is for people who were born outside the U.S. and became citizens through naturalization.
  • The Declaration of Intention is for people seeking to notify the U.S. that they want to become citizens of the U.S.

Replacing Citizenship Certificate

You can replace your Citizenship Certificate with From N-565 under the following circumstances:

  • Your Certificate has been lost, mutilated, or destroyed.
  • Your name has changed due to marriage or due to a court order and you need to change your name on your certificate
  • You are a naturalized citizen who wants U.S. citizenship recognition by a foreign country. This is a special Citizenship Certificate.

Filing Form N-565

The filing process of Form N-565 will differ depending on the reasons above. If you have lost your certificate or it has been stolen, the bullet points below do not apply.

  • If you are applying for a replacement because your citizenship certificate was mutilated or ruined, you have to submit it with the form. Do not submit a copy of the mutilated certificate. It must be the actual mutilated certificate.
  • If you are applying for a replacement because your name has changed, then you have to submit your original citizenship certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate or name-change court order.
  • If you are applying for a special certificate, you must submit a copy of your naturalization certificate.

You will have to submit two identical color photographs, passport-style, of yourself within 30 days of filing.

From N-565 must be mailed to the appropriate USCIS center along with the fees.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.