Fee Waiver

Table of Contents

The fee waiver process is in place to provide assistance for people who cannot pay the filing fees on certain USCIS forms.

The fee waiver, Form I-912, is currently only available for the following immigration forms:

  • Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (can only be waived for those applying for humanitarian parole)
  • Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant (can only be waived for an alien who is not subject to a determination of his or her likelihood of becoming a public charge)
  • Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion. (can only be waived if the underlying application  or petition was fee exempt, the fee was waived, or it was eligible for a fee waiver)
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (can only be waived for those in the following statuses: T nonimmigrant status; U nonimmigrant status; Asylum status; Battered or abused spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident; Special Immigrant Juvenile status based on an approved Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant; Adjustment through Cuban Adjustment Act, the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act, continuous residence in the United States since before January 1, 1972 or similar provision; Special Immigrant Status based on an approved Form I-360 as an Afghan or Iraqi Interpreter, or Afghan or Iraqi national employed by or on behalf of the U.S. Government.)
  • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, (can only be waived for individuals with any benefit request)
  • Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence;
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (Not available for applicants of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals);
  • Form I-817, Application for Family Unity Benefits;
  • Form N-300, Application to File Declaration of Intention;
  • Form N-336, Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Procedures
  • Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purpose
  • Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document;
  • Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship;
  • Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate;
  • Biometric services fee (Not available for applicants of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

How to Request USCIS Fee Waiver

If you are looking to waive the fee for one of the above forms, you must complete Form I-912 and file it along with your form. Form I-912 cannot be sent by itself.

Also Form I-912 is not currently available through e-File system. You must mail a paper-form.

To be eligible for the fee waiver, you must be eligible though one of three conditions:

  • You or qualified members of your family currently receive a means-tested benefit. Some examples are medical, food and housing assistance.
  • Your household income is at or below the 150% Federal Poverty Level. See the USCIS poverty guidelines for household size.
  • You are currently going through financial problems that make it difficult for you to pay for the filing fee, an unexpected medical bill or emergency.

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo