Common types of US visas

Those who wish to visit the United States have two primary options when it comes to getting US visas, one for business and one for tourism.

The B-1 visa is for people who want to visit America on a temporary basis for business purposes such as attending a conference or for those who wish to receive medical treatment in the US. This visa can also be used for those who wish to accompany a family member undergoing medical treatment in America.

The other type of visa is the B-2 visa, which is for those wishing to visit America for tourism or to see family in the country.

Those wishing to receive one of these visas must demonstrate that their visit to the US is temporary, be in possession of a valid passport and show that they can support themselves once in America, among other provisions.

However, a visa doesn’t guarantee that one will be allowed in the country. At customs, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will determine those who are eligible to enter the country. If one is allowed in to the US, he will be given a stamped Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure. Those who wish to stay longer than the time specified by their visas can apply for an extension by filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.