Getting a replacement green card

Losing any type of important document can be a pain but for legal residents of the US, losing one’s green card can be especially hard.

However, the process for replacing a green card is relatively simple. One need only to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card either electronically or by mail.

The most typical reason for having to replace one’s green card is that the permanent resident document has been lost, stolen or accidentally destroyed. However, there are a number of other reasons why one might need a replacement green card.

One reason for this would be if the green card was issued before one was 14 years old, he or she must get a new green card after they turn 14 if the card does not expire before their 16th birthday. Another reason would be if one was a commuter and is now taking up permanent residence in the US, or vice-versa.

Other common reasons why one might need to file Form I-90 would be if his or her green card has incorrect information or if one’s circumstances have changed and the information on their current green card is now incorrect.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.