Immigrants require medical examinations in certain situations

In some situations it may be necessary for immigrants to undergo medical examinations.

According to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, those filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status or Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status must undergo a medical examine from a civil surgeon. A civil surgeon is a medical doctor who has received designation from the USCIS.

One’s personal physician cannot be visited for the official medical examination unless he or she has been designated a civil surgeon by authorities.

Finding a civil surgeon can be accomplished by calling the National Customer Service Center or by making an appointment with a USCIS office.

Those undergoing an examination must fill out the first part of Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. However, they should be careful not to sign the form until instructed to do so by the civil surgeon. The doctor will complete the form and seal it. The form must then be submitted to the USCIS.

The fees charged by doctors vary and are not regulated by immigration authorities.