Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

What to do if you lose your passport

Fri, Jun 14 11:11 AM

Follow these tips if your passport goes missing.

If you lose your passport on vacation, don't panic. There are ways to remedy the horrible situation of losing your identification overseas and enjoy the rest of your trip. While it is scary to be without your most important documents, don't waste time wondering what to do. Here is a list of important steps to ensure that your trip goes smoothly – and what to do if your passport is lost or stolen. 

 Before heading out on an overseas trip, make copies of all of your documents. These duplicates could come in handy if you happen to lose a form of identification. It may also be a good idea to keep copies of your documents at home in case you lose your luggage on vacation. 

When you check your purse or carry-on and realize that your passport is gone, don't get flustered. These things happen. Without hesitation, notify the police. Although you're in a foreign country, they can at least direct you to the right people to contact, and if you saw who stole your documents you can file a police report. Police officers will lead you to the country's U.S. Embassy. When there, find someone who works in the Citizen Services Unit. According to the U.S. Department of State, once your passport is reported missing or stolen, it can no longer be used for travel. The last thing you want is someone using your identification to fly to another area. 

If all else fails, ask someone for help. Go into a local store, ask your hotel concierge for information or get directions to the nearest government agency. Someone will point you in the right direction and hopefully your passport will turn up before it's time to go home. 

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual’s situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

Copyright © 2007-2016 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.