USCIS introduces new ID card for some Form 1-485 applicants

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services recently announced that certain green card applicants would be eligible for an identification card that combines travel and employment authorization.

According to a release from the USCIS, the new ID card can be used as an employment document and will be marked “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole.”

“Advance Parole is permission to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad in order to continue processing for adjustment of status or other benefits. Individuals must be approved for Advance Parole before leaving the United States,” according to a 2006 release from the federal agency.

Certain people filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, will be eligible for the card as will those who file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, at the same time.

The USCIS said that the new card is more durable than previous paper Advance Parole documents and that it is more secure.

The agency will still issue Advance Parole and Employment Authorization Documents separately.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.