When and how to replace your green card

Accidents happen and things get lost, but when it’s something as important as your green card, you might feel frazzled. Fortunately, you can apply for a replacement and release your anxieties.

Reasons to replace
If you’re planning on applying for citizenship without a physical copy of your greed card, you’ll need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You will want to fill this out if your green card was lost, stolen or destroyed.

Another reason to replace your card is if it was issued to you before you were 14 years old and you are now 14 or older. If the green card has incorrect information, you have a previous version, your name or other biographic information, such as your address, on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card, or you never received the previous card that was issued to you by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you should go ahead and begin the process to obtain a new one.

Checking progress
Once you’ve filed the I-90 form you can check the status of your application. Visit the “My Case Status” portal on the USCIS website. Have your receipt number, Alien Registration Number, name and date of birth at the ready when you check your status.

If denied 
In the case that your application is denied, you will receive a letter explaining why. Although you cannot appeal a negative decision, you are allowed to submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider. You’ll want to make that motion with the office that denied the application. If you plan to make the motion, remember that your case should prove the initial decision was made in breach of immigration policy.