Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Get a Marriage-Based Visa

Get a Marriage-Based Visa

  • Step-by-step guidance through your application
  • Personalized application forms and filing instructions
  • Live, U.S. based customer service
  • Save thousands on legal fees
  • Free Eligibility Quiz Included!

Marriage Visa Types

If you are a U.S. citizen, there are two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States. They include:

  • The K-3, Nonimmigrant visa for spouse; or
  • Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)

The application for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa for a spouse, who is married to a U.S. citizen, must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process is completed and the visa is issued, the spouse can then travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. Both the Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) and the Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)) must be filed.

In obtaining an immigrant visa, the U.S. citizen petitioner must file Form I-130 and Form I-485. If the foreign national spouse is in the United States, Form I-130 can be filed concurrently with the Form I-485 (Application for Adjustment of Status). If the foreign national spouse is outside the U.S., the Form I-130 must be filed and approved before the Form I-485.

Marriage Visa Eligibility

  • The petitioner (spouse) filing Form I-130 must be U.S. citizen
  • The U.S. citizen petitioner (spouse) must be 18 years of age or older.
  • The U.S. citizen petitioner (spouse) must have residence in the United States.

Marriage Visa Eligibility

After the visa (Form I-130) petition is completed, it is then submitted to the National Visa Center. The National Visa Center reviews the Marriage Visa filed and may request further documentation for verification of the marriage.

Once all the National Visa Center requested documentation is submitted and received, the marriage visa is sent to the local U.S. Embassy having authority over the foreign national spouse's place of residence. The foreign national spouse will be required to attend a marriage visa interview at the Embassy prior to the visa being issued. Once the marriage visa is issued, the spouse can then immigrate to the United States.

Immigration Learning Center

Immigration News

Emma, la nueva asistente virtual de USCIS

Monday, December 14, 2015 8:32 AM

La tecnología es cada vez más usada por el los Servicios de Migra...


Examen de civismo para naturalizaci

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:45 AM

Una de las partes más importantes del proceso de naturalización c...


More News

Instructional DVD

Pass the U.S. Citizenship Test

Regularly: $199

Now Just: $60

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual's situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2017 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.