Apply for a U.S. M-1 Student Visa

Apply for a U.S. M-1 Student Visa
  • Start Your Application Today
  • Avoid mistakes: Easy step-by-step instructions
  • New and updated Immigration Forms included
  • Customer Support
  • Secure Download (All information protected)

By the way, here’s something you should know before using our serviceBy the way, here’s something you should know before using our service. Read MoreIf you haven’t noticed yet, we are not A LAW FIRM AND ARE NOT affiliated with ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY. WE ARE A PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE PROVIDING EASY, SELF HELP ONLINE IMMIGRATION SOLUTIONS. PURCHASE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE GOVERNMENT FILING FEES. BLANK FORMS ARE AVAILABLE WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR FREE FROM THE USCIS. Our software was built by immigration professionals and currently used by immigration attorneys. We pride ourselves in running the latest technology to make the immigration application process easy and secure. Our teams spend hundreds of hours every week improving how our systems work to make your experience the best it can be on any device. Customer service agents are not lawyers and will only answer questions regarding billing or our software. We’re sure the USCIS tries really hard to make the immigration process easier for you, we’re just here to do it better. The choice is yours!close

US Student Visa

There are two non-immigrant student visa types for individuals desiring to come to the United States to study.

The M-1 student visa applies for non-immigrants hoping to pursue non academic or vocational studies.

Student visas are referred to as non-immigrant visas because they are issued for individuals who do not intend to stay in the United States permanently. This means that students who are applying for M-1 student visa are indicating to the United States government that they only will remain in the United States for as long as it takes to complete their studies. A non-immigrant student visa may not be used as a way to enter the U.S. expeditiously and to obtain permanent residence. The U.S. Department of State is the U.S. Government agency responsible for issuing a student visa. The State Department's guidelines and policy is adhered to around the world by U.S. consulates and embassies. If as a student you are applying for M-1 visa overseas you will be dealing with a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the agency with jurisdiction over persons who apply to change status to student from inside the U.S.

M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 visa is for students enrolled in non-academic or "vocational study". Some examples of "vocational study" would be mechanical studies, technical studies, cooking classes, a language program, flight school or cosmetology program. Unlike the F-1 Visa, the M-1 visa is valid for only one year. Students may apply for cumulative extensions for up to three years. Also unlike the F-1 Visa, M-1 visa holders are only authorized to reduce their course of study below full time for medical reasons and for a maximum aggregate period of six months. While F-1 Visa holders have fairly broad freedom to transfer schools, M-1 visa students are typically only free to transfer schools within the first six months of the program. Like the F-1 Visa, the M-1 gives the student the opportunity to earn paid practical experience after graduation. USCIS employs a formula whereby it authorizes one month of employment authorization for every four months in which the M-1 visa student was enrolled in the vocational program. A maximum of six months of employment authorization for practical training is available. This means that the maximum time students could stay in the U.S. on an M-1 visa is three and a half years. The M-1 visa does not, however, allow students to work while they are in school. The M-1 visa also allows students 30 days after the completion of their program in which to prepare to leave the U.S.

Qualifications for M-1 student visa status

  • The student must be enrolled in a "vocational" or "non-academic" educational program;
  • The school must be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
  • The student must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution;
  • The student must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency;
  • The student must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study; and
  • The student must maintain a residence abroad

The M-1 student visa e-book includes:

  • Qualifications and Eligibility requirements;
  • A detailed overview of the application process;
  • All of the necessary application forms and guidance on how to complete the forms accurately and completely;
  • Tips on successfully navigating the visa interview at a U.S. Consulate;
  • Instructions on how to extend your status once you are in the U.S.;
  • Rules on working in the U.S.;
  • Information on transferring schools; and
  • All visa application forms.


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get updates in your inbox.

Goto Top

Standard Apply for a U.S. M-1 Student Visa Application Government & Filing Fees:

  • USCIS Application Filing Fee undefined(Due upon submission of application to USCIS)
    • Filing fee may vary by application reason