Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Apply for a U.S. M-1 Student Visa

  • Start Application immediately
  • Avoid mistakes: Easy step-by-step instructions
  • New and updated Immigration Forms included
  • 24/7 Customer Support
  • Secure Download (All information protected)  Secure
M1 Student Visa

US Student Visa

There are two non-immigrant student visa types for individuals desiring to come to the United States to study.

The M-1 student visa applies for non-immigrants hoping to pursue non academic or vocational studies.

Student visas are referred to as non-immigrant visas because they are issued for individuals who do not intend to stay in the United States permanently. This means that students who are applying for M-1 student visa are indicating to the United States government that they only will remain in the United States for as long as it takes to complete their studies. A non-immigrant student visa may not be used as a way to enter the U.S. expeditiously and to obtain permanent residence. The U.S. Department of State is the U.S. Government agency responsible for issuing a student visa. The State Department's guidelines and policy is adhered to around the world by U.S. consulates and embassies. If as a student you are applying for M-1 visa overseas you will be dealing with a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the agency with jurisdiction over persons who apply to change status to student from inside the U.S.

M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 visa is for students enrolled in non-academic or "vocational study". Some examples of "vocational study" would be mechanical studies, technical studies, cooking classes, a language program, flight school or cosmetology program. Unlike the F-1 visa, the M-1 visa is valid for only one year. Students may apply for cumulative extensions for up to three years. Also unlike the F-1 visa, M-1 visa holders are only authorized to reduce their course of study below full time for medical reasons and for a maximum aggregate period of six months. While F-1 visa holders have fairly broad freedom to transfer schools, M-1 visa students are typically only free to transfer schools within the first six months of the program. Like the F-1 visa, the M-1 gives the student the opportunity to earn paid practical experience after graduation. USCIS employs a formula whereby it authorizes one month of employment authorization for every four months in which the M-1 visa student was enrolled in the vocational program. A maximum of six months of employment authorization for practical training is available. This means that the maximum time students could stay in the U.S. on an M-1 visa is three and a half years. The M-1 visa does not, however, allow students to work while they are in school. The M-1 visa also allows students 30 days after the completion of their program in which to prepare to leave the U.S.

Qualifications for M-1 student visa status

  • The student must be enrolled in a "vocational" or "non-academic" educational program;
  • The school must be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
  • The student must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution;
  • The student must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency;
  • The student must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study; and
  • The student must maintain a residence abroad

The M-1 student visa e-book includes:

  • Qualifications and Eligibility requirements;
  • A detailed overview of the application process;
  • All of the necessary application forms and guidance on how to complete the forms accurately and completely;
  • Tips on successfully navigating the visa interview at a U.S. Consulate;
  • Instructions on how to extend your status once you are in the U.S.;
  • Rules on working in the U.S.;
  • Information on transferring schools; and
  • All visa application forms.
Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual's situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2016 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.