Applying for a green card as a refugee

Table of Contents

There are many routes to obtaining a US green card such as through a job offer or through family but permanent resident status can also be obtained if one is a refugee.

Those who are admitted to America as refugees must apply for a green card one year after they are admitted into the country. To be eligible for such a green card applicants must have lived in the US for one year and have not have had their refugee status terminated.

Then refugees seeking permanent residency in the US must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Two photos should accompany the form per its instructions.

In addition, Form G-325A, Biographic Information and I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record might have to be filed. The latter only need be filed in full, if at the time of admission as a refugee medical grounds for admissibility were noted or if the applicant was admitted using Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.

Evidence of refugee status and any information regarding a name change must also be submitted by refugees seeking a US green card.

Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative may also need to be filed.

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo