Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Employment Authorization Card

Employment Authorization Application (Form I-765)

  • Step-by-step guidance through your visa application
  • Personalized application forms and filing instructions
  • Live, U.S. based customer service
  • Save thousands on legal fees
  • Free Eligibility Quiz Included!

I-765 Employment Authorization Document - EAD Card

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) is also known as a work permit. The employment authorization document is issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and is issued to show your legal right to work in the United States. The application for employment authorization is also known as form I-765.

Foreign nationals who are temporarily in the U.S. may file and submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to obtain an EAD. Each employment authorization document is issued for a specified period of time based on the foreign national's immigration situation. If a foreign national successfully completes the application for employment authorization he or she will be issued a valid EAD. He or she will then be authorized to work in the United States without their employer having to file and submit a non-immigrant petition.

Generally the EAD is issued in the form of a credit card sized plastic card. This employment authorization document card comes enhanced with multiple security coding which cannot be duplicated. The employment authorization document will provide information about your name, birth date, sex, immigrant category, country of birth, photo, alien registration number, card number, term and conditions of care restrictions and valid date.

When a foreign national successfully completes application for employment authorization with form I-765 an employment authorization document (EAD) will be issued and he or she will be able to lawfully work in the United States for any employer.

Who Should File Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization?

If you are not a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may need to apply for an EAD to prove you may work in the United States. The specific categories that require an EAD include (but are not limited to) asylees and asylum seekers; refugees; students seeking particular types of employment; applicants to adjust to permanent residence status; people in or applying for temporary protected status; fiancés and spouses of American citizens; dependents of foreign government officials; J-2 spouse or minor child of an Exchange Visitor; spouse of an E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader or Investor and spouse of an L-1 Intra-company Transferee.

USCIS issues EADs in the following categories:

  • EAD: This document proves you are allowed to work in the United States.
  • Renewal EAD: You cannot file more than 120 days before your original employment authorization expires.
  • Replacement EAD: This document replaces a lost, stolen, or mutilated EAD. A replacement EAD also replaces an EAD that was issued with incorrect information, such as a misspelled name.

About Application for Employment Authorization Form I-765

Certain aliens who are temporarily in the United States may file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Other aliens who are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions should also use this form to apply for a document evidencing such authorization.

When a foreign national successfully completes an application for employment authorization with form I-765, and obtains an employment authorization document (EAD), he or she will be able to lawfully work in the United States for any employer.

Immigration Learning Center

Family detention centers sites of mistreatment, lawyers say
Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:42 AM

Lawyers who provide pro bono services to undocumented immigrants in family ...

New CA law allows broader access to professional licenses
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:31 AM

A new law, introduced in California as SB 1159, will require the 39 licensi...

More News

Instructional DVD

Pass the U.S. Citizenship Test

Regularly: $199

Now Just: $60

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual's situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2015 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.