Immigration Direct U.S. Immigration & Citizenship Form Services-Simplifying Immigration
Permenant Resident GreenCard

Adjustment of Status Application
(Form I-485)

  • Complete your application online, in plain English
  • Step-by-step guidance leads you through each question
  • E-file your application or print and mail
  • Free Eligibility Quiz Included!

Complete Form I-485 Adjustment of Status Online to Get Green Card

Individuals who are in the United States on an immigration visa will use Form I-485 adjustment of status application to obtain a green card (permanent residence) by filing with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Get a Green Card from Inside the United States Using Form I-485

A Form I-485 Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident is for applicants who are in the U.S. and are eligible to apply for a Green Card based on sponsorship by an employer or family member or based on holding asylee or refugee status. The application is made on Form I-485 (adjustment of status).

Eligibility Requirements for Form I-485

Applicants who are currently inside the U.S. and have an approved Immigrant Petition may be eligible to file an Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident. Unless an applicant is applying in a category for which visa numbers are always available, an applicant must have a "current" Priority Date in order to be eligible to file. Click here to find out more about what a Priority Date is and how long you might have to wait for a Priority Date to become current. Click here to start your Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident.

Applicants who are applying on the basis of their relationship with a U.S. citizen spouse, parent or child may be eligible to file the Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident at the same time that the Immigrant Petition is submitted. Click here to start the process.

Individuals who have held asylee or refugee status for one year or more may also be eligible to file the Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident. Click here to get started.

Applicants who are outside the U.S. are not eligible to file an Application to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident. Eligible applicants outside the U.S. may obtain Green Card status by applying for an Immigrant Visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.

The benefit of completing form I-485 application online is it reduces the risk of your adjustment of status application being rejected. Once you submit your accurately completed form I-485 application you will need to send the supporting documents and applicable fees to the designated USCIS address. If you are 79 years or older, you will not be charged a biometric fee. If you are filing this form on the basis of being admitted to the United States as a refugee, then you need not pay any filing fee.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the United States government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for an attorney or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007- Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.