Child Passport Application: How To Prove Parental Relationship

Table of Contents

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) has provided additional guidance on child passport application —children younger than 16 years of age. Specifically, DOS lists the various kinds of documentation that can be used to establish the parent/child relationship. Establishing this relationship is necessary when parents request a passport for a child.

Regardless of age, every minor traveling overseas must have a valid passport.

Minor passports are valid for five years.

Acceptable documents to prove the parent/child relationship include:

  • Birth certificate

Adoption Decree

  • Divorce/custody decree
  • Consular report of birth abroad of a United States citizen (FS-240)

Regular photocopies of these documents are sufficient. In cases where you’re using the documents to also establish citizenship, however, only certified copies are acceptable.

Parents must submit a passport application in person when the minor is younger than 16 years of age. All parties—the minor child as well as both parents/ guardians, should be present during the application process. You’ll need to provide a parental consent form if both parents/guardians aren’t present.

Minor passport requests use Form DS 11: Application for a U.S. Passport. The minor passport application fee is $80 USD.

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo