N-400 Document Checklist: A Complete Guide

Table of Contents

Are you ready to get U.S. citizenship through naturalization? Before applying you should know the complete requirements for the N-400 application. When applying for U.S. citizenship through naturalization, it is mandatory to submit the required supporting documents to USCIS. The N-400 document checklist is a list of all the necessary documents that an applicant needs to submit along with their N-400 application for naturalization.

Failing to submit all required documents can cause delays and potential denial of the N-400 application. It’s essential to be aware of common reasons why the N-400 form gets denied to avoid any complications in the process. In this article, you will come to know the documents to submit with your N-400 Application for Naturalization, documents to bring to your naturalization interview, and additional documents required.

Documents To Be Submitted With Your N-400 Form

If you are applying for U.S. Citizenship through naturalization with green card holder status (five years), you have to submit the below-mentioned documents along with your N-400 application. These documents include:

Proof of Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) Holder Status

Applicants who are applying through the naturalization process need to submit their green card photocopy (front and back). It should be a valid unexpired green card. If your green card is expired you need to renew your green card by filing I-90 Form. After filing you will receive a receipt letter from USCIS that confirms you have filed Form I-90. Use that receipt letter copy and attach it to your N-400 Form. USCIS will consider that as your green card.

Complete Application Package Fee

Applicants need to pay the application package fee plus the biometrics fee while submitting their N-400 Form. The fee should be paid to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security by personal check, or money order. You can make the payment through a credit card too by filing Form G-1450. No additional fee will be charged through a credit card.

If you need a reduction in your fee you need to submit Form I-942 and if requesting any fee waiver you need to submit Form I-912.

Proof of Current Marital Status

You need to provide copies of the following documents (if applicable) for all applicants who have been married, whether currently or previously married:

  • Marriage certificates
  • Divorce or annulment decree
  • Death certificates
  • Other official records like a Single Status Certificate or a No Record of Marriage Certificate

Proof of Identity

If you are applying from a foreign country, you must include two U.S. passport-style photos with your application. The photos should measure 2 inches by 2 inches.

Proof of Military Service

If you are applying for immigration benefits based on your qualifying U.S. military service, you must include Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service, with your application.

Proof of Medical Disability

If you are requesting an exemption from the citizenship test due to a qualifying medical condition, you must include Form N-648, which is the Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, with your application.

Legal Name Change Documents

If you have changed your name and your current legal name differs from the name on your green card, you must provide evidence of the legal name change. Acceptable documents for this purpose include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order
  • Adoption decree

Request for Representation at the Naturalization Interview

To have an attorney or other representative present at your U.S. citizenship interview, you will need to complete Form G-28. This form allows you to designate an attorney or representative to act on your behalf during the interview process.

Documents To Be Submitted If You Married to a U.S. Citizen

If you are married to a U.S. citizen and have a green card, you can apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization after three years. However, you will need to submit additional documents along with your N-400 application. These documents may include:

Proof of Your Previous Marriages Were Terminated

Apart from providing evidence of your current marital status, you will also need to submit proof that any previous marriages (if applicable) have ended. This means you must provide documentation showing that your previous marriages were terminated either through divorce or death. Acceptable documents are divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates.

Proof That Your Spouse Has Been a U.S. Citizen For The Last 3 Years

Applicants need to submit proof that their spouse is a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years and continues to be a U.S. citizen. Acceptable documents are:

Documents Referring To You And Your Spouse

You need to submit the documents to prove that you and your spouse have been living together in a marital union for a minimum of three years before the submission date of Form N-400, which is the Application for Naturalization. Acceptable documents are:

  • Bank accounts, tax returns, leases, mortgages
  • Birth certificates of children born into the marriage
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years
  • An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years

Additional Documents Required For N-400 Form

Apart from the above documents you need to submit some additional documents if required.

Maintenance of Permanent Resident Status

If you have traveled outside of the U.S. for 6 months or longer since obtaining your green card status, you need to provide evidence that you (and your family) continue to live and work in the U.S. Acceptable documents are:

  • Your passport copy which shows your departure and arrival stamps
  • An IRS tax return “transcript” or IRS-certified tax information for the past five filing years (or past three filing years if applying based on marriage to a U.S. citizen)
  • Rent or mortgage payment receipts

Evidence That You Have Fulfilled Your Financial Support Responsibilities

If you have listed your children or dependents on Form N-400 who do not reside with you, you are required to bring the following documentation for each of them, as well as for any other dependents, including spouses or ex-spouses.

  • Court or government orders for you to provide financial support to them
  • Canceled checks
  • Money order receipts
  • A court or agency proof of child support payments
  • Records of wage garnishments
  • A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child(ren)

Proof of Parental Rights Over Your Child(ren)

If you listing your children or dependents in your N-400 application, then you should submit the following documents:

  • Birth certificate
  • Court order naming you as the parent
  • Adoption papers

Proof of Selective Service Registration

All males who have resided in the U.S. or received their green card between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register with the Selective Service. To verify your registration, you can use the Selective Service Online Verification and provide your last name, Social Security number, and date of birth.

If you were required to register but failed to do so, you must provide the following documents:

  • Status Information Letter (from Selective Service)
  • A personal affidavit explanation from yourself why not registered yet

Proof of IRS Tax Payments or Overdue Tax Obligations

If you have not filed an income tax return since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, please send:

  • Any communication you have received from the IRS related to your failure to file.

If you have any overdue taxes of federal, state or local, you should send

  • Signed agreement from either the IRS or your state/local tax office indicating that you have filed your tax return and have made arrangements to pay any taxes owed.
  • Provide documentation from either the IRS, state, or local tax office that shows the current status of your repayment program

Records of Law Enforcement

If you have a history of being arrested, detained, charged, convicted, sentenced to an alternative punishment, or placed in rehabilitation you need to submit the necessary documents. Below are the conditions and the documents required for submission.

Condition #1: If you have been arrested or detained anywhere in the world and did not file any charges, you will need to provide:

  • Original or court-certified arrest report and no charges filed

Condition #2: If you have been arrested or detained anywhere in the world and filed with charges, you will need to provide:

  • Arrest reports
  • Charging documents
  • Court dispositions

Condition #3: Have you ever had an arrest or conviction that was vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or removed from your record, send

  • Court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction
  • Court original statement that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

Condition #4: Have you ever been convicted of a crime or placed in alternative sentencing, such as diversion, or rehabilitation programs like drug treatment or community service, send

  • Original or a court-certified sentencing record for each incident.
  • Your probation or parole record original or certified copy
  • Proof of completion of alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program

Ready to Prepare Your N-400 Form?

Generally an applicant need five or three (through marriage) years history of address, employment and travel. According to your case submit the required documents to fulfill your N-400 form. ImmigrationDirect provides affordable, easy to use online software, step-by-step assistance to complete the immigration application process on your own. If you have any questions on the N-400 document checklist we can answer and guide you thoroughly. The quicker you submit your application with our help, the faster you will obtain your U.S. citizenship. Contact us today!

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo