Lost Your US Passport?

Table of Contents

A passport is an “internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer.” Remember that you should have a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave most foreign countries. The U.S. Department of State is the body that has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

If your passport was lost or stolen, make sure you report the lost passport immediately. You have to report the passport stolen or lost before you can apply for a new passport. In order to do this, you are required to fill out form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport. Complete the application and enter as much of the passport information as you can and answer all questions in detail. Submitting this form will result in the invalidation of your passport, making it unusable for travel. Make note that once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be revalidated.

If you recover your passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, you have to send it to:

U.S. Department of State


4th Floor

1150 Passport Services PL

Dulles, VA 20189-1150

Once you do so, this office will cancel your passport for you and send it back to you, or will destroy it to prevent identity fraud. You should fill out a new passport application. Complete form DS-11 as you would if you were applying for a new passport. If you are applying because your most recent passport was lost or stolen, you will also need to submit Form DS-64.

The DS-11 application form has four pages. Pages one and two provide general information for applicants and should not be submitted. Ensure that you read these instructions carefully.You have to complete Page three. Although page four requires no information from you, it does contain official legal statements and is required as part of the application form. Your application for submission should have pages three and four. Your application will not be accepted without both these pages. Pages three and four of this form must be presented and signed in person at an authorized passport acceptance facility. Do not sign the application form until you take the oath administered by an authorized passport acceptance agent.

Pay special attention to Question # 18. Complete Question #18 as follows:

  • Write your name as it appeared in your passport
  • Write the approximate date of issue.
  • Include the passport number if known
  • Under “DISPOSITION,” mark the appropriate box.
  • If your passport was expired, write “EXPIRED” next to the “OTHER” box.
  • Submit the forms together, in person, at a Passport Acceptance Facility or at a Passport Agency.

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo