Immigration Direct U.S. Immigration & Citizenship Form Services-Simplifying Immigration

How To Start the Green Card Renewal Process

December 8th, 2009 by Eric J. Ramos

Permanent Resident Card RenewalHow do I start the Green Card renewal process?

This article provides information to help you determine if you need to renew your green card. It also explains the green card renewal process.

What is a Green Card?

A green card, also called a permanent resident card, shows your proof of legal status as a permanent resident in the United States. It is a card about the size of a credit card and shows your photo as well as other information about you. As a permanent resident, you are required to carry your green card with you at all times. This card may also be referred to as Form I-551.

Do I need to renew my Green Card?

You will need to renew your green card if it is within six months of expiring or if it has already expired.

If you are a conditional permanent resident and your green card is expiring, you should not file for green card renewal using Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You will need to file, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. When your Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence is approved, you will receive a new green card valid for 10 years.

How do I renew my Green Card?

Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, is used for green card renewal. This form is also used to replace green cards that are damaged, stolen, or contain incorrect information. Remember that if you have a current, unexpired green card, you should wait until it is within six  months of expiring before you file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

USCIS allows Form I-90 to be filed online or by mail. When completing Green Card Renewal Form I-90 to renew your green card, you will need to provide information about how you became a permanent resident. You will also need to include a copy of your current or expired green card.

The USCIS may request further information from you after you file Green Card Renewal Form I-90 if they believe they need to have more information to approve your application. When USCIS approves the application, it will mail a new green card to the mailing address you provided.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the United States government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for an attorney or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2014 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.