Replacement Citizenship and Naturalization Certificate Redesign

Starting today, the USCIS is issuing a redesigned replacement citizenship certificate and replacement naturalization certificate.

The new replacement certificates have state-of-the-art technology to prevent the production of fake certificates. It is now easier to distinguish between a fake certificate and a real one. The USCIS also has a more secure printing process.

Since 2010, the USCIS has been redesigning the Certificate of Naturalization and Certificate of Citizenship.

Replacement Citizenship Naturalization Certificate

People who need to replace their citizenship or naturalization certificate file Form N-565. The certificate can be replaced under the following circumstances:

  • You were issued a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship but it has been lost, mutilated or destroyed.
  • You were issued a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship but your name has changed through marriage or through a court order and you want your certificate to reflect the name change.
  • You were issued a Certificate of Naturalization but you want to be recognized as a citizen of the U.S. in a foreign country. In this case, you are able to apply for a special certificate.

The process of applying for a replacement citizenship and naturalization certificate has not changed. With your Form N-565, you will still have to submit two identical color photographs of yourself taken with 30 days of the application and the following:

  • Your mutilated document if you still have it but it’s been damaged
  • Your original certificate and a copy of your marriage certificate or court order if your name has changed
  • A copy of your naturalization certificate if you are applying for a special certificate

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.