How To Renew an Expired Green Card

November 30th, 2009 by sysadmin

Your Green Card is expiring or has expired. You know you need to renew it…. here’s what to do:

The Application Form for an Expired Green Card

The only way to renew your expiring Green Card is to file green card renewal Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.   In the meantime, if you need confirmation of your status so that you can work or travel, you can make an appointment with your local USCIS field office through Infopass to get a temporary I-551 stamp on your passport until your new card arrives.  This temporary proof of status is good for one year and that’s good since it may take that long to receive your new Green Card.

Now, if you are a conditional permanent resident who has a two-year green card and your Green Card is about to expire, DO NOT use Form I-90 to renew your expiring Green Card. In that case, you are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of your card expiring by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If your conditional status was based on a marriage, you must also file Form I-751.

Renew your Green Card now with Form I-90

When should I renew my expired Green Card?

It is best that you renew your expiring Green Card within 6 months of its expiration date.  If you fail to renew your Green Card and you allow it to expire, you may have difficulties in obtaining work, benefits and you will definitely have problems if you try to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad.

Will I lose my Permanent Resident status if I do not renew my expired Green Card?

If you allow your Green Card to expire, do not worry.  You will not lose your Permanent Resident status. However, since  you are required by law to carry proof of your Permanent Residency you should renew your expired Green Card as quickly as possible. Remember that the USCIS office will provide you with temporary proof of your lawful status while you await your new Green Card.  If for some reason you do not receive your new Green Card before your temporary proof expires, just go to your local USCIS office so that they can update your document.

What if I can’t afford the expired Green Card application fee?

The current filing fee for submitting Form I-90 is $365 plus $85 in biometric fees (fingerprinting).  The total cost would be $450.  If you cannot afford to pay this amount, you can request the USCIS to waive the fee.  The USCIS will review your request and will determine if you can afford it or not. Please note that although the USCIS does offer Fee Waiver Guidance, there are no clear cut rules on who qualifies for a fee waiver.  As a general rule, an applicant must demonstrate substantial need beyond what is ordinarily encountered in order to qualify for a fee waiver.

>Check out online forms, blogs and news for US Green Card:

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual’s situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

Copyright © 2007-2017 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.