After the Naturalization Interview

Table of Contents

As part of the Naturalization process, you must attend an interview. Make sure you do not miss your interview. If you cannot make it due to certain unavoidable circumstances, write to the office where your interview is scheduled as soon as possible and request to have your interview at a later date. Note that having your interview rescheduled will add to the naturalization process, resulting in a delay in getting your Naturalization certificate. So try avoiding changing the original interview date. If you do not notify the USCIS about the absence, they will “administratively close” your case. If you do not get in touch with them to schedule a new interview within one year after they close your case, your application will be rejected.

It is also important that the USCIS has your most current address. Else, you may not receive any important information from them. In addition, they may not be able to notify you about the date and time of your naturalization interview or about additional supporting documents you may be needed to send or bring.

Changing Address After Filing The Naturalization Application

If you shift to another place after filing your application, you have to call the USCIS at their toll free telephone number 1-800-375-5283 to notify them about the change in address. Per law, it is mandatory you notify the USCIS of the new address each time you move. In addition to calling their Customer Service, you should file an “Alien’s Change of Address Card” (Form AR-11). Remember to file the Form AR-11 within 10 days of you having moved. There is filing fee for this form. You should also keep the U.S. Postal Service informed of your new address so that any mail to you may be forwarded to the new address.

You will become a US citizen once you take the Oath of Allegiance in a naturalization ceremony. You can take the Oath on the same day as your interview. If you want to have the ceremony at a later date, USCIS will notify you about the ceremony date with a Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony. If you cannot attend the oath ceremony on the scheduled date, you are required to return the “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to the local USCIS office. Include a letter along with the form citing the reasons for not attending the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter. Once the USCIS receives your letter, they will reschedule the date and send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that will have the new date.

If your application is rejected and you feel the USCIS was wrong in its decision, you can request a hearing with an immigration officer. While sending the denial letter, USCIS will also detail how to request a hearing and will include Form N-336, Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings. You have to file this form, along with the appropriate fee to the USCIS within 30 days of having received the denial letter.

Not Sure Where to Start?

Check Your Application Status

Scroll to Top
immigration direct logo