July 12th, 2013 by Romona Paden
U.S. citizens or Green Card holders sponsoring their spouses for Green Cards are required to attend a marriage-based Green Card interview with their spouse.
During the interview, the USCIS officer will ask intimate, personal questions about your life as a married couple. This is to ensure that the marriage is valid. Knowing personal details about each other, like bed times and favorite foods, lets the USCIS officer know that you are a genuine, married couple. If the USCIS officer becomes suspicious, he may request to interview you and your spouse separately.
Below are examples of the types of questions asked at the Marriage Based Green Card interview:
- How did you meet?
- What made you interested in your spouse?
- Where was your first date?
- When did you fall in love?
- Did you discuss marriage early in your relationship?
- Who proposed?
- How did you decide on the length of your engagement?
- Did your friends and family approve of your marriage?
- Who attended your wedding?
- Who decided where the wedding would take place?
- Were your parents and siblings in attendance?
- Who did you choose to be your bridesmaids/groomsmen?
- Did you have a reception?
- Did you have a difficult time planning the wedding activities?
- What food did you serve?
- How long was the reception?
- Do you have any funny stories from the reception?
- When did you leave the reception?
- Where did you have your honeymoon?
- Who gets up earliest in the morning?
- What do you make for breakfast?
- At what time do each of you usually get home?
- Who cooks dinner?
- How do you divide the house work?
- Who handles the bills?
- Do you have bank accounts together?
- Do you have any pets?
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- How many rooms do you have?
- How much do you pay for rent/mortgage?
- How is your home decorated?
- How big is your bed?
- What side of the bed does your spouse sleep on?
- What is your spouse’s routine before going to bed?
- What kind of personal care products does your spouse use?
- If you argue before bed, how do you resolve it?
- What is your relationship with each other’s parents?
- How often do you visit each other’s parents?
- What other members of each other’s families are you closest to?
- What do you do on the weekends?
- How often do you eat out?
- What is your favorite place to eat at?
- Where do you shop for groceries?
- What are your favorite meals?
- What television shows do you watch together?
- What movies have you recently watched?
- What kind of music does your spouse like?
- When is your spouse’s birthday?
- How did you last celebrate each other’s birthday?
- How did you celebrate your anniversary last year?
- What is the most important holiday you celebrate?
- What did you do last New Year’s Eve?