How to renew your green card

If your green card 10-year period is about up, you should be sure to file for a renewal. It is important to file Form I-90 – which can be done online – six months before the expiration date. The online application for permanent resident renewal can be found through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) services website.

Outside the U.S.
If you are outside of the U.S. and your green card has expired or is about to expire, you should file for renewal as soon as you return to the states. However, you must return to the country within one year of your departure and before the card expires. If you did not meet these conditions, you must contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before filing Form I-90.

Conditional residents
Conditional residents whose status is expiring must go about renewal differently. If this applies to you, you must use Form I-751, the Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence. At 90 days before your two year card expires, you need to file to remove the condition, as these types of cards cannot be renewed. If you do not remove the conditions and your card expires, you loose your permanent resident status.

Checking your status
Once you’ve filed the proper forms, you can check on the status of your application by visiting the My Case Status portal at the USCIS website. To access your status, you will need your receipt number, Alien Registration Number, name and date of birth. Your e-receipt number will not be available until 72 hours after filing your request.

How to appeal
If your request is denied, you cannot appeal. You may, however, request to reopen the case by submitting a motion through the office where your approval was denied. For your case to be sound, you must prove that the denial went against immigration law.