Deferred Action USCIS Documents

Deferred Action for Childhood ArrivalsAfter you have filled out Form I-821D, Application for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and signed it by hand you will need to gather certain documents to demonstrate the truthfulness of your application. These documents are listed within the instructions for Form I-821D, but we will also list them here. Unless otherwise asked for by the USCIS all of these documents can be photocopies.

As a general rule: more is better. Though not every one of the documents are listed here are necessary to demonstrate that you are eligible for deferred action it is better to have as much proof as possible.

If you have ever been in removal proceedings you will need to provide the removal order from the immigration judge. This is only necessary if you have gone to court to be deported.

You will need to submit a few documents to establish your identity. Not all of these are necessary to prove your identity, but you should have sufficient data to show your date of birth, your photograph or fingerprint and some kind of registration with a governmental institution:

  • A passport,
  • Birth certificate,
  • An ID document from your original country with either a photo portrait or a fingerprint,
  • Employment Authorization Documents,
  • Expired Visas,
  • Driver’s licences,
  • Other State ID,
  • School ID with a portrait,
  • Military ID with a portrait.

You will also have to show that you entered the United States before you turned 16 and therefore will need some of these documents:

  • A passport with a dated stamp,
  • An Arrival/Departure card that was issued to you upon entry to the United States,
  • If you happen to have a document from an immigration department that states the date when you entered the country that will suffice,
  • Travel tickets that establish an arrival time such as airline, ocean-line or bus tickets,
  • School records that establish your attendance in public school and therefore residing in the United States,
  • Medical records that establish that you were present in the United States before age 16,
  • Or official religious records.
  • If you were here legally on a non-immigrant visa, but the visa expired on or before June 15th, you’re Arrival/Departure Card will work,
  • The charging document used to place you into removal proceedings by either INS or DHS,
  • Final orders of exclusion, deportation or removal.

Documents that establish that you were in the United States on June 15, 2012 and have resided in the United States for at least five years prior to that date include:

  • Rent receipts,
  • Power, gas or other utility bills for June,
  • An employment record that establishes you in the United States at that time,
  • School records like transcripts or grade cards,
  • Military personnel records,
  • Medical records that show that you were in the United States on June 15th,
  • Religious records, such as if you were a witness to a wedding on June 15th,
  • Money order receipts,
  • Passport entries,
  • Birth certificates of your children,
  • Bank transactions,
  • Correspondence,
  • A Social Security card,
  • Car license receipt,
  • Car title,
  • Car registration,
  • Deeds,
  • Mortgages,
  • Rental agreements,
  • Contracts,
  • Tax receipts,
  • Insurance policies,
  • Postmarked Letters,

You will have to establish your achievement in education:

  • If you are currently enrolled in a school you can provide transcripts and report cards to that fact,
  • A diploma,
  • A certificate of completion,
  • A GED (General Education Development certificate).

To prove that you have been honorably discharged from either the United States military or the Coast Guard you will need:

  • Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,
  • NGB Form 22, National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service,
  • Military Personnel records,
  • Military Health Records.

You will also need to have a record of all of the times you left the country for any period of time at all. This includes:

  • Arrival/Departure Cards,
  • Passport entries,
  • Travel tickets,
  • Hotel receipts,
  • Evidence of departure reasons,
  • Advance Parole documents.

You will also need to demonstrate that on June 15th, 2012 you were in the United States illegally. These records will suffice:

Any other documents that may demonstrate that you have met these requirements will suffice as long as they specifically address the requirement and are genuine.

In addition to Forms I-821D, I-765, I-765ws and your documentation you will also have to submit the filing fee for the Employment Authorization Document which is a total of $465.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.