Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Green Card Application Immigration Questions COMMUNITYFORUM

Prepare Your Application to Replace a Lost or Stolen Green Card Online

Green Card Renewal

Prepare and complete the Application to Replace your Lost or Stolen Green Card (Form I-90) today! You will be able to file your official U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (formerly INS) form today.

  • Qualification Quiz: FREE  |   Start Quiz
  • Immigration Direct Preparation Fee: $149
Fast, Easy, Professional. Let us help you complete a USCIS (formerly INS) application today!

Green Card Renewal Form I-90

Green Card Renewal is an important process for Lawful Permanent Residents. Once a Green Card has been issued, Lawful Permanent Residents do not need to do anything else to extend or ensure their status in the U.S. However, the current green cards are valid for a period of 10 years only.

Even though a Green Card has an expiration date, the Permanent Resident status of a person never expires. Once a person has been given Permanent Resident status, it is never taken away unless the person voluntarily gives it up or acts in a way that is contrary to the purpose of a greencard. The Green Card itself is simply official documentation of the status, much like an identification card. Therefore, it is important to keep your card up-to-date. Having an expired Green Card may make it difficult for you to prove that you are a permanent resident, and this could also affect your ability to travel or to prove your eligibility to work in the United States.

In order to keep your card updated, greencard holders need to enter the Green Card Renewal process by filing Form I-90.

When should a Green Card Renewal application (Form I-90) be filed?

  • You must file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident your card will expire within the next six months. A Green Card renewal application (Form I90) cannot be made more than six months in advance.
  • You must immediately file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and your card has expired.
  • You should file a Green Card Renewal application if you are a Lawful Permanent Resident who has an older version Green Card. These cards have no expiration dates. Though you are not required by the USCIS to renew the older card versions, the USCIS strongly recommends you apply to renew your Green Card.

When should a Green Card Replacement application (Form I-90) be filed?

There are times when a Lawful Permanent Resident needs to request a Green Card Replacement before the current card expires.

You should go through a Green Card Replacement process if:

  • Your card was has lost or stolen. Lost or stolen greencards should be replaced immediately by filing Form I90.
  • Your card was mutilated or destroyed. A Green Card replacement can be requested by filing Form I90.
  • Your card has a mistake on it. For example, you received a greencard and the name was misspelled, than you should immediately file for a green card replacement (Form I90) to have the mistake corrected.
  • Your card was never received. A Green Card replacement can be requested again by filing Form I90.
  • Your name has changed. If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce or for any other reason, a Green Card replacement can be requested again by filing Form I90.
  • You just turned 14 years old. If you became a permanent resident before you were 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you become 14 years old.

What if I am a Conditional Permanent Resident?

If your greencard is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional permanent resident. Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. Conditional permanent residents are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of their card expiring.

If your conditional status was based on a marriage, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

If your conditional status was based on being an investor, you must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status.

Once your petition is approved, you will be sent a new greencard valid for 10 years. At that point, the Green Card Renewal or Green Card Replacement process involves the use of Form I90.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice. It is general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. It should not be relied upon to reach any conclusion regarding any individual's situation or case. Immigration Direct is not sponsored by or affiliated with the United States government or any government agency. We are not a law firm and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. We do not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to our users about their legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Customer support is for technical and billing issues. Customer support will not answer legal questions. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the USCIS. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by any government agency. Your access to and use of this website, and any purchase made using this website, is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use to which, by using this site and/or making any purchase, you are agreeing to be bound.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.

Copyright © 2007-2015 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.