How to work in the U.S.?

Working in the United States of America is like a dream come true for a lot of people from all over the world. In spite of having many other options in other countries to work, people tend to choose the U.S. arguably because of its high standard of living, good salaries, huge growth potential, convenient working environments and more.

Millions of people from other countries already work in the U.S. and millions more join the workforce each year.

That being said let’s see how people like you from other countries could also work in the U.S.

To work in the U.S. as an immigrant you must have a valid work permit (Employment Authorization Document) or a valid work visa or a Green Card.

There are different requirements to get at least one of them. It depends on who you are, what job you take up in the U.S., what immigration status you have and more. Continue reading to get an idea of how you might be able to get at least one of the above to work in the U.S.

Work Permit

A work permit or an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a credit card-sized plastic card. It is issued to you by the USCIS if you meet certain eligibility requirements. If you have no idea what USCIS is then here is the short answer.

“USCIS (The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) is a government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States.”

Now let’s get back to the work permit. The work permit is popularly known in the U.S. as the EAD card which contains some basic info about the worker, their photo and expiration date.

This EAD can be issued to you based on your request and if you are eligible to work in the U.S. with your current immigration status.

It can also be issued upon request if you need work authorization to work until your current immigration status is changed or your immigration application is being processed.

To apply for Employment Authorization Document you need to file Form I-765 with the USCIS.

Work Visas

There are many work visas available which allow you to work in the U.S. Among the work visas, few require an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and a few work visas allow you to work in the U.S. even without having an Employment Authorization Document.

Since there are a lot of visas we have covered them in this article titled “U.S.Visas”. You can learn more about work-related visas from the above article.

Green Card

Finally, there is the famous Green Card. A Green Card is a document that allows you to live and work in the U.S. permanently. If you have a green card, you do not need an employment authorization.

Instead, the Green Card on its own is enough proof that you are legally allowed to work in the United States. Green Cards are also the gateway to U.S. citizenship. If you would like to learn more about Green Card, how to get a Green Card and more then check this article about “Green Card”.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.