How Do I Get My Mother a Green Card?

You can get your mother a Green Card if you are a U.S. citizen and you are over the age of 21.

The most common way of immigrating to the U.S. is with a family-based Green Card. Immediate relatives have the easiest and fastest path to live and work in the U.S. Getting your mother a Green Card is likely to be a quick process because a Green Card for parents is immediately available.

Green Card for Mother

As stated above, the two main requirements are that you be a U.S. citizen and over 21. Green Card holders are not eligible to petition for their parents. They are only allowed to petition for their spouses and children of any age.

If your mother lives outside the Unites States, you will file form I-130. With the form, you will submit the following:

  • Documentation that confirms your relationship to your mother. A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name is ideal.
  • Documentation that confirms your U.S. citizenship. A copy of your certificate of naturalization or a copy of your U.S. passport is ideal.

When the USCIS lets you know Form I-130 has been approved, an Affidavit of Support will be requested. The USCIS will contact your mother so that she can visit her local U.S. consulate for consular processing.

If your mother is already in the U.S. at the point of petitioning, she might be eligible to file Form I-485 at the same time you file her Form I-130. This would allow her to adjust her status to permanent resident while remaining in the U.S. This is called concurrent filing.

If she has been living in the U.S. without authorization, she will have to do consular processing, which would entail her leaving to her home country for her interview. If she is subject to 3-year or 10-year bars for remaining in the U.S. illegally, she might be able to file the new provisional waiver released last week, the I-601A.

Sign up for our Newsletter

By clicking “Send” you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.